Would you consider living in a sustainable community?
This week’s Making Ripples column in the Free Weekly is about eco villages, a topic Ryan & I have had personal experience with. We stayed at Dancing Rabbit eco village in Rutledge, Missouri, for a week in 2006 after we met during college, and got an introduction to many of the topics you find here on Ripples. Dancing Rabbit is still thriving, so you may want to check out their website here.
But if Dancing Rabbit is too far for you, don’t worry! There are many urban and rural eco villages locally, nationally, and internationally that may appeal to you, even if you’re not going to become a resident or member of one. Learn more about Fayetteville’s own urban eco village, Green Acre, in this week’s People Making Ripples! (the photo at this link is of kids and their strawberry box, NOT the photo of the living wall described in the caption – visit Green Acre to see the living wall!). They have tons of other cool projects in various stages, so be sure to check them out and tell your friends that applications are now being accepted!
We can learn so much from communities of people living sustainably, or if not sustainably, at least “in community” with each other. Some intentional communities don’t have a sustainability focus…but most of the ones I’ve found do. Many intentional communities seem to go the way of drive-in movie theaters, shutting down quietly without much press or internet updating, but you can almost always find a community that’s been thriving for a long time and shows no signs of failure. Check out these communities:
- Fayetteville Arkansas Green Acre Eco Village (urban apartments, rent for a year to own, now seeking applications!) Contact: Cindy Garmoe (479) 236-0046
- The Land Community, Arkansas (rural community forming now on 146 acres) Contact: Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Red Earth Farms, a 76-acre land trust and community in northeast Missouri
- Wikipedia’s List of Intentional Communities
- Global Ecovillage Network
- Fellowship for Intentional Community Directory of all known communities abroad and in the USA